Monday, October 18, 2010

2 weeks of DTS...


I'm sorry if this is an incoherent mess... It has been such an incredible experience being here for just a few weeks. There is so much that I could say but with only a short time to write I will have to be brief. The past weeks have been full of orientation and building relationships. I am here with a really great group of young people and am excited to share the next 8 months with them. Each of us is busy right now trying to meet the necessary people and find the right organizations for our internships and volunteer work in the city, both of which comprise the majority of our ministry. One really neat thing about this particular DTS is that we are given a lot of freedom to learn and explore ways to develop each of our gifts and learn what it means to use them in ministry. I have a met a few people and set up meetings for the upcoming weeks and am really excited about all the possibilities for me to get involved in the city.

Over the weekend I attended Street Level Quebec, a Christian conference on social justice in Quebec (which was all in French, I understood almost everything..). The conference itself was really great but I was really encouraged to meet a lot incredible people from different organizations and churches with hearts to simply serve the city. I find it really unique here just how closely linked all the Christian leaders are here.

I really love being here. Montreal is so alive and full of layers and texture. Yesterday, I went with a few friends from my DTS to hike to the top of Mount Royal (a large hill, right in the middle of the city), and at the base of the mount we were met by a huge crowd surrounding a large drum circle. Everything was clapping and dancing and just enjoying the music and the beautiful fall day. It was such a fun experience. After hanging around the drum circle for a while we hiked to the top of the mount where there was a breathtaking view of the entire city of Montreal. It was such a reminder to me of God’s faithfulness in my life, especially in bringing me here, something that I had been praying about for a few years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment